Shannon R Afn

I regret my decision to use Legal Zoom

Updated by user May 24, 2024

My situation has continued to deteriorate. Despite spending a lengthy phone call correcting information, the second filing for my nonprofit was filed with the erroneous information.

Legal zoom cannot seem to be bothered beyond "no worries". Unfortunately, this has...

Original review May 22, 2024
I could not be more dissatisfied with my experience with my LZ for setting up Nonprofit with 501(c)(3). Unfortunately I'm too far down the path to change course now.

Technology - subpar at best. I wish I had realized the money back guarantee, I would have requested a refund immediately upon seeing the technology. process. You must answer all questions at once and in order, there is no menu to review a prior section.

If you don't complete questions in one sitting for any reason, you will be forced to start over and re-enter information. There's no opportunity to final review your answers before hitting submit and no opportunity to review your forms before they are sent to the state. Answers you provide appear to be transcribed to a form by a human on the backend which leaves too much room for error. My forms were submitted to the state with erroneous information.

Customer service is rude and undereducated regarding processes. I was told I'd have an opportunity to review my information with a person before it was submitted - this did not happen. Upon alerting LZ that my forms were filed with the state incorrectly and I was told that the best way to fix it was for ME to prepare and file corrective docs even though the error was not mine. Emails I received from customer service were poorly crafted and contain factual and typographical errors (the may sound petty, but details matter on legal docs).

Example, I was told my nonprofit was required to have a Chief Fiance Officer (not Finance).
LZ seems much more focused on selling add-on products than providing an accurate and efficient service.
My one positive was the actual consult I had with an attorney, which just furthered my regret of my decision. I'd much rather have paid someone to advocate for me instead throwing away money on LZ.
Loss:

Preferred solution: I'm honestly unsure what would be a realistic ask. I'd love a price reduction, completion of my order, and an apology.

User's recommendation: Look into hiring an Attorney

Uri S Pcm

Extremely uncommunicative

I paid for legal Zoom to file my 501 c well over a year ago They misfiled my forms at both the state and federal levels Having to file amendments they did not even know about until I called them repeatedly

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Do not use legal zoom

Geron Olv

| map-marker Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

To discuss a bill, process tax returns, download documents to my account, sign documents

Not resolved. Gloria and David have been helping. Difficulty processing due to holiday weekend. Will speak with Gloria Monday 11/27/23

User's recommendation: I don’t know, this is my first time using this service.

| map-marker Piscataway Township, New Jersey

Charge me work I didn’t ask for

LegalZoom - Charge me work I didn’t ask for
LegalZoom - Charge me work I didn’t ask for - Image 2
Charge for a LLC when I needed a PLLC even after I told them I needed a PLLC I was told it would be fixed in a day or two but the next morning emailed me stating I had a LLC, charged me for and charge me again to dissolve it. And had the nerve to try to take more money out again not even a week later.

User's recommendation: Don’t apply they are crooks

Ronald C Ndm

Verified Reviewer

Everything was quick and easy

Marco was real polite and knowledgeable about my situation. he helped me find the information I needed for additional questions that he wasnt able to answer, and he got me started in the right direction.
Pros:
  • Very informative company
Patricia S Jmr

Dissatified

Do not use this company unless you want to get run around in circles I applied for my LLC in the beginning of October. It is now the end of January and they have not submitted my application to the state which was previously denied because of them on December 26, since then they have not re-filed my application but rather tell me that they did in order for me to spend more money. This company is fraudulent and incompetent and now refuses to give my money back because its been more than 60 days since they dont do their job
Loss:
Cons:
  • Unreliable
  • Giving misinformation assuring me things were done that never were
  • Unprofessional disorganized

User's recommendation: Do not use LegalZoom

Ben J Nnk

| map-marker Austin, Texas

Resolved: The service I paid for is not complete and their system says it is complete

LegalZoom - The service I paid for is not complete and their system says it is complete
Updated by user Oct 06, 2023

Company fixed the issue and I have been provided with product or service ordered. They gave an insincere apology and a lame excuse on the 8 months it took to confirm my dba had been filed and properly advertised.

Updated by user Jun 04, 2023

All that remained for my "premium dba filing" purchase from Legalzoom.com was proof of publication for four consecutive weeks in Riverside County, California. My last official update in April 2023, regarding the "proof" from Legalzoom.com, was that it would be end of...

Original review May 02, 2023
When I chose legalzoom.com to handle filing my fictitious business name (dba) with Riverside County, California on November 1, 2022, I expected the filing to have taken place by the time my Los Angeles County dba filing expired on 12/27/22. My paperwork that was to be filed was not sent to Riverside County until 12/28/22.

There was a delay on this due to the holidays and the fact that I wasnt notified in the form of emails of questions their Back office had along the way. The only email I got was when the documents were ready for me to print out, sign in triplicate and send back to legalzoom.com so they could send those to the county for recording. From the 1st of November thru the end of 2022, I called them for status updates on 4 different occasions, November 14, 25, 27 and December 10. I called to check status and was told it was going to be a 5 to 6 week delay to get my documents recorded in Riverside County.

This was no fault of Legal Zoom,so I was told, and took their word. On or about January 27, 2023, I began getting solicitations in the mail from various local companies wanting me to use one of them to do what I paid up front for legalzoom.com to do. All new filings for fictitious business names must be advertised in a local publication for 4 weeks in a row following recording. And again the $240 I paid legalzoom.com included the four weeks of paid advertising.
I called on February 3rd because I had received a call earlier that morning from somebody representing to be someone that is in the back office of legalzoom.com.

He sent a text message to me so that I could go to a link that he provided which turned out to be a form which supposedly was to go to the Secretary of State's office in California to prove that my company was in good standing with the State. He had me open the file which took me to a form which had legal zooms logo on it. He explained that we had to fill this form out correctly the first time because it was a problem if you filled it out in error and then try to get it changed. It had my name address phone number email address and finally my federal tax ID.

I worked with him to get those pieces of information entered on the form. At that point I still did not understand why I was having to fill this form out and why I was going to have to pay more money. The cost for this was going to be an extra $145. I hit the ceiling at that point and stayed there ranting and raving about why I had to fill this out and why wasn't I told and etc.

etc. At that point I asked to speak with somebody in customer service at LegalZoom And he supposedly transferred me but it turned out to be possibly the same person or somebody with the same accent. I went round and round with him until I finally hung up. They never got my credit card nnumber.

I then called the toll free number to legalzoom.com they didn't have any record of anybody from their back office trying to call me. I also did some research on the form that I was asked to fill out by the impersonator and that form is only used for corporations or LLCs to prove that they don't owe anything to the state in the form of taxes Etc. A sole proprietorship like I am filing is not required to fill out anything like this unless I was selling my company. During my call to the real Legalzoom, the representative kept saying that the time frame from when I started this process to the current date had been way too long and it shouldn't be that way.

So she told me that she was going to take ownership of my case and communicate with me from this point until completion. She also told me to expect a call from somebody that had more Authority. I impressed on her that the impersonator had my personal info as well as my federal tax id.at legalzoom regarding the impersonator as well as the process taking so long. I never heard from her or anyone in management regarding anything on my case.
The next day, I got a call from someone who sounded like the same person with the same accent purporting to be with the California Secretary of State's office.

I said right then at that point, before I hang up on you I want to hear what you have to say. He proceeded to rattle on about this that and the other until I hung up on him. I did report this incident to the Secretary of State's office and the fact that this impersonator had my federal tax ID now.
I did finally receive a copy of the dba recording about a month after the recording date of January 26 but there was no mention of the 4 weeks of publication in a local news source.
I called several more times to check on the affidavit regarding the publishing that must be started in 45 days of the recording. I got conflicting info each time I called until finally I spoke to a representative who told me she was going to contact their publishing department to get the status.

This was early April. I heard nothing in a weeks time and called back. I was told that the affidavit would not be available until end of May. That made me so distraught and I did nothing for over a week.
I called Legalzoom again to ask a simple question Why was it going to be another month for this to all be done?

She kept looking further into the notes in my file and found that publication info was filed on March 14 and recorded on April 6. The time this info was shared with me was April 24. She could not pull up the document but gave me a recording number. That number turned out to be the filing number from January 26.

The publication affidavit recording should have a different recording number because it is now 3 months later.
I am now giving up onn legalzoom and have made an appointment to go to the recorders office and see what they can tell me. It is ashamed that I have to do this leg work. I should have just done this myself in a much shorter time frame. Legalzoom has cost me thousands of dollars in sales because the service I paid for is not done and their system shows my purchase to be complete.

Am I going to be forced to get a lawyer to rattle legalzooms cage? Six months and counting is highly abnormal for an individual filing as a sole proprietor!!

User's recommendation: Beware

Guest

Boring.

LegalZoom

Hi, Ben! We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused. Please send us an email to socialmediaoutreach@legalzoom.com with your account information, and we'll look into this right away.

View more comments (1)
kenneth g Tuw

3 different charges equaling $700

Just wondering why you just keep taking money out of my account you need to give a better explanation of what it is not a bunch of abbreviated words that nobody knows
Paul R Fla

Verified Reviewer

Resolved: Scam Artists! They will steal from you!

Updated by user Nov 20, 2023

Company fixed the issue and I have been provided with full refund. I had called Legal zoom and argued these charges 3 times, each time after being left on hold for at least 45 minutes I was basically told -too bad for you, we don't give refunds-After I wrote multiple negative reviews across the internet, The Legal Zoom folks contacted me and apologized and refunded the bogus fees. I hope they train their front line customer service people better in the future, but in the end they did the right thing and I have to give credit where credit is due.

Original review Nov 16, 2023
Legal Zoom is a bunch of Scam Artists and low-life thieves! They slipped in a recurring charge that we did not sign up for and charged us $250 to be out "registered agent" for another year. We called them and made them aware that we had changed the registered agent on Sunbiz.org and did not need this service AND never signed up for any recurring charges or received the email notice of the recurring charge that they lied about sending, and they said basically too bad for us, we don't issue refunds! These people are low-life thieves and con artists!

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Don't USE these low-lifes!

map-marker The Bronx, New York

I can’t talk to anyone

Yall take money from my account without authorization poor company I always get the answers machine an didnt give permission for legal zoom to take money out my account

User's recommendation: Bad poor poor poor company

| map-marker North Hollywood, California

Incompetence

LegalZoom - Incompetence
They throw up road blocks based on an automated computer system and dont even look at your file. All the problem they had with my LLC where easily answered and it was like they STILL didnt get it. They wanted me to consult with a lawyer. Then what the *** am I using YOU for?!

User's recommendation: Don’t use EVER

Ira J P

Beneficial ownership information reporting

The gentleman helped me with paying for and filing my beneficiary ownership, information reporting form
map-marker Rotonda West, Florida

Terrible customer service

I have been trying to set up a non-profit with legal zoom for months. I do not get responses from my emails, and they can never help over the phone. Terrible customer service, and the process takes very long. Wish I had just hired a lawyer. I had one small change to make in my final application and it took over a month!

User's recommendation: Don't use them

Tajon Ttv

| map-marker Mesa, Arizona

Pleasantly surprised on ease of forming an LLC

LegalZoom - Pleasantly surprised on ease of forming an LLC
First, I was not expecting the call as I was just beginning to fill out the additional information. Second, Julia, Legal Zoom agent came on and helped by filling out the forms and by discussing the options and benefits that Legal Zoom offers. She was extremely helpful and represents the positive side of customer service.
LegalZoom

Thank you, Tajon, for allowing us to be there for you and for sharing your experience.

Shannon K Bbh

LegalZoom - Annual renewal - Image 3
LegalZoom - Annual renewal - Image 4
Updated by user Aug 11, 2023

Original review Aug 11, 2023
I opened my business through legal zoom in March of 2022 and unfortunately I had a stroke in April of 2022. I was unable to teach the dance classes that my business is for and everything had expired. Im more than capable of working now and I didnt want my business to be closed by the state of texas so I had filings to get done and renewals and legal zoom has done a fantastic job of handling any and all of my business filings. I highly recommend legal zoom
Cons:
  • None that i can see yet

User's recommendation: I highly recommend legal zoom

LegalZoom

Thank you for allowing us to allowing us to make this right, Shannon, and for sharing.

Christina M Ewj

Amendment

I been calling and kept on hold all day to speak with someone but no respond.i need to know boutmy ammendment I have to starter worm please give me a call 863348****

Preferred solution: Ammendment

Brands Related to LegalZoom

Revvsales reviews and complaints

Revvsales

0 Reviews

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article